At last years AGM, our current Chair, Melanie Cusack, announced that she will be stepping down at the end of this year. The Club needs to find a new Chair as soon as possible to facilitate a suitable hand over by the next AGM. The description of the ASA’s view of the role of the Chair is set out below.
Note that running our open meets is not necessarily a role for the Chair and Melanie will continue to fill this role. As such, she will be available to provide support to the new Chair if required.
If you are interested in the role, or know someone who you think would be a good chair, please contact Melanie or any committee member for further information.
Role of the Chair
To lead the club in pursuit of its objectives and to be responsible for the overall control and management of all club activities.
- Enthusiastic with a good knowledge of the sport and club
- Well organised and able to delegate
- Ability to control meetings
- Confident at public speaking
- To chair and control the meetings of the management committee
- To be involved, where appropriate, in the coordination of all club activities
- Oversee decisions made by the management and sub committees
- Oversee the work of officers and other club personnel
- In conjunction with the secretary present the annual report
- In conjunction with the treasurer present the annual accounts
- Consult with the secretary on the content of the agenda and minutes of meetings
- Keep up to date on ASA laws, regional rules and club constitution
- Ensure that statutory documents and other returns are filed on time
- Advise the treasurer on the use and investment of club funds
- Report to the officers of the Executive Committee at the first opportunity of any instant decisions taken, and ensure that all policy decisions are ratified by the Executive Committee
The demands of this role depend upon the support provided by other club officers and appropriate use of effective policies. Dealing with issues as and when they arise plus club requirements i.e. events and club Executive meetings
Benefits to Self
Contribution to ensuring a safe and well-managed club